When I was 10 years old I got a C64 and thought it could be programmed in natural language. I literally wrote something like:
"I want a game where I am a plumber who needs to avoid barrels which are launched by Kong by jumping them. I need to reach the top of the screen, etc..."
Unfortunately I only got a Syntax error in exchange of my passionate description of the game.
35 years later I found the will to try it again and this time things have gone a bit better.
With this project I am willing to replicate the behaviour of the original Donkey Kong by Nintendo.
I tried to simulate the game logic and timing spending multiple hours watching videos of the original game.
Game copyrights belong entirely to Nintendo.
As a Nintendo's games lover I wanted to express my tribute to the Mario/Donkey Kong serie and to game designer Shigeru Miyamoto.
Game programming is now completed with four brand new levels added on the top of the 4 original ones.
- Game is designed at its original resolution of 224x256 pixels at 60 FPS
- The 4 original levels + 4 New levels
- Game logic, controls, collisions - Difficulty increases each time player completes all levels - Local score saving (it saves scores in clear ini file)
- Online score saving
- Animations and scripted sequences among levels
- Enemies (Barrels, Fires, Springs, Cement Pies, Fireballs, Fireghosts, etc)
- Full Sounds and Music
- Joypad support
- Arcade/Redux Mode
Arcade Mode is meant to play the original 4 levels in the same order as in the Jap version of DK. Name and Score are saved only if higher than 5th place.
Redux Mode features 4 new levels (5,6,7,8). Starting level can be selected from whichever one has already been played. Name and Score are always saved.
- Fixed bug with DirectInput gamepads
- Fixed bug with Windows taskbar not showing game window
- Improved ladder's climb routine
- Added WASD to control player
- Added Splash screen
- Added level 6
- Added new Intro at level 5
- Name entered in the High Scores is cached (Redux Mode only)
- On level 6, destroyed bombs increase score
- Fixed bug with Mario jump routine
- Fixed bug with extra life at 7000 points
- Added level 7
- Added support for DirectInput gamepads
- Normalized sounds effects
- Starting level can now be selected in Redux mode
Arrow Keys/WASD/Joypad Left stick: Movement
CTRL/Space/Enter/Joypad B0/B1: Jump
CTRL/Space/Enter/Joypad B0/B1: Start Game - Skip Cut Scenes
P: Pause Game
ESC: Exit Game
M: Toggle FPS display on screen
I: Toggle image color interpolation
B: Toggle Vsync (Disabled by default)
L: Toggle Alternate Sync Method
F: Toggle FullScren mode